Hi!


Sunday, November 21, 2010

Daily Dose: Thanksgiving Cookie Favors


For our recent pre-Thanksgiving dinner get-together, guests went home with these delicious and beautiful cookie favors.  I've been wanting to use this technique since seeing these cute dinosaur and star cookies at Dean and Deluca:


Seriously, how cute are they?  The technique is very simple and hard to mess up.  But the result is dramatic and professional looking.  Use these cookies next time you want to make a big impression.  Enjoy!

Cookies:  I used my favorite rolled sugar recipe.  And since this was for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner I used shapes that reminded me of autumn - a pumpkin and an acorn. 


Icing:  I used my basic sugar cookie icing, but omitted the meringue powder.  And, since I needed to cover the entire surface of the cookie, I added a little more milk to thin it out.  I'd say about 2-3 more tablespoons.


Technique:  On a piece of wax paper, cover the cookie with icing. 



Transfer to a second piece of wax paper and, before the icing has time to harden, cover with sanding sugar.  Use sanding sugar that is the same color of your icing.   NOTE: you want to do one cookie at a time, or else the icing will harden and the sugar won't stick.






Once the icing has set up a little bit, you can transfer the cookies to a rack and let them dry for a couple of hours. 


Shake off any excess sanding sugar and wrap in individual clear baggies. Then decorate with your favorite labels!  I used these place cards from Martha Stewart:

No comments:

Post a Comment